Printer-friendly versionSend to friend The Ozone_cci project is part of the ESA Programme on Global Monitoring of Essential Climate Variables (ECV), better known as the Climate Change Initiative (CCI), initiated in 2010.
The CCI Programme wants to contribute to the data bases collecting Essential Climate Variables (ECV) required by the United Nations Framework Convention of Climate Change (UNFCCC) and the International Panel on Climate Change. In particular, Ozone_cci will:
- Analyze the needs of the climate research community in terms of Ozone data.
- Adapt the Ozone satellite measurements for their use by the climate research community.
- Use Ozone data available in the ESA Earth observation archive, as well as Ozone data from Third Party Missions (TPM). (TPM data come from instruments owned by other parties than ESA)
Three main product lines will be developed:
- Total ozone from nadir UV backscatter sensors
- Ozone profiles from nadir UV backscatter sensors
- Ozone profiles from limb and occultation sensors
Ozone products and equivalent CMIP5/Obs4MIPs Parameters
The table below shows the Ozone outputs that have equivalent CMIP5 parameters and hence are suitable for submission to Obs4MIPs (Observations for Model Intercomparisons), an activity to make observational products more accessible for climate model intercomparisons.
|CMIP5 Table||CMIP5 Matching Parameter : CMIP5 Name||CMIP5 Priority|
|Total Ozone from nadir UV backscatter sensors||Amon||Mole fraction of O3 : tro3||1|
|Ozone profiles from nadir UV backscatter sensors||-||-||-|
|Ozone profiles from limb and occultation sensors||-||-||-|
Parameter characteristics & GCOS/CMC Requirements
|Split at 3km is arbitrary|
|Types of errors|
|Single sensor uncertainty estimates for every observation (SSEOB)|
|Single sensor accuracy estimates for every observation (SSAOB)|
|Single sensor uncertainty estimates for TCDR (SSECDR)|
|Single sensor accuracy estimates for TCDR (SSACDR)|
|Error covariance matrix for TCDR (ERRCOV)|
|L3 merged product accuracy (ERRMERG)|